Hands on the Wheel and Eyes on the Road
407 ETR and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are committed to traffic safety. Distracted driving is quickly emerging as a major factor in many motor vehicle collisions.
When you get behind the wheel, remember that:
- It is illegal in Ontario for drivers to use any handheld communications and entertainment devices - not just cell phones.
- The Highway Traffic Act prohibits the use of devices except when these devices are used in a manner prescribed by legislation.
If you need to make a phone call or use any handheld devices, please remember to follow these rules:
- Your vehicle must be off the roadway or lawfully parked on roadway
- Your vehicle must not be in motion
- Your vehicle must not impede traffic
The fine for using a handheld communications/entertainment device while driving is $155.00.
Traffic safety is in everyone's best interest. Always be sure to wear your seat belt. Please help us combat distracted driving and make Ontario highways safer for all motorists.