Most people who use Highway 407 register with the company to obtain a transponder or are billed based on the name and address associated with their licence plate. However, there is a way for a customer to use the highway anonymously, without getting bills or statements mailed to them.
An "Anonymous Account" allows a customer to travel Highway 407 and pay for their charges without having to reveal who they are. In fact, no personal identification whatsoever is required to establish an anonymous account.
To open an anonymous account, you must "prepay" Highway 407 charges by establishing a cash account, maintaining a positive balance in the account and using a valid transponder. Once the anonymous account has been set up, a transponder will record your trips and payment for Highway 407 charges will be automatically withdrawn by 407 ETR from your account. Deposits into an anonymous account can be made in person at any financial institution or at 407 ETR. It is up to the customer to keep replenishing the account balance to ensure sufficient funds are available to pay for the charges.
Please note that anonymous accounts are only available to light vehicles, except motorcycles and vehicles equipped with a metallized windshield.
How to Register
To open an anonymous account, you must visit 407 ETR's Customer Service Centre in person. As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, our Customer Service Centre at 6300 Steeles Avenue West remains closed until further notice. Looking for support over the phone? One of our Customer Service representatives would be happy to assist. Please call us at 1-888-407-0407 during our business hours to get in touch.
A Customer Service Representative will work with you to set up the account, although you do not need to provide your name. (Please be aware that the Customer Service Centre is equipped with video surveillance for security reasons only.)
To set up an anonymous account, an initial payment for the following is required:
- $57.50 security deposit per transponder (refundable upon return of the valid transponder)
- $200.00 for initial prepayment of 407 ETR charges
Lost Anonymity Situations
Please note that your anonymity may be relinquished under the following conditions:
- The account credit balance falls below $0.00;
- The transponder is reported lost or stolen, or it is damaged, abused or malfunctioning;
- The transponder is not installed properly or has been installed in a vehicle equipped with a metallized windshield or a motorcycle;
- The transponder is used in a vehicle with a Registered Gross Vehicle Weight or Gross Vehicle Weight exceeding 5,000 kilograms;
- If required by law pursuant to a criminal investigation; and
- While every effort is made to ensure system accuracy, there may be occasions when the roadside equipment takes a video image of a vehicle equipped with a transponder linked to an anonymous account.